Appellate advocacy is a specialized balance of written and oral advocacy skills directed at a highly knowledgeable and intimidating panel of appellate judges. Appellate advocacy requires the skills to compile and review the record of prior proceedings and the knowledge of the law and procedure so that issues which can result in relief are properly presented to the Court.
Ms. Zigtema has participated in litigation in nearly 100 cases before the Appellate Courts of the State of Kansas on both criminal and civil matters. Her efforts in this matter have not only resulted in relief or new trials for her clients, but have changed the law in the State of Kansas so that all persons may benefit.
A sampling of Ms. Zigtema’s success on appeal include:
- Expanding grandparent visitation rights to grandparents of children born to single parents. In the Matter of TNY, Kansas Court of Appeals, 2015, http://www.kscourts.org/Cases-and-Opinions/opinions/CtApp/2015/20150925/113099.pdf
- Removal of defendant from Sex Offender Registry, State of Kansas v Coman, Kansas Supreme Court, 2013, http://www.kscourts.org/Cases-and-Opinions/opinions/SupCt/2012/20120330/100494.pdf
- Establishing constitutional right to evidentiary probable cause hearing for juveniles, In Re HN, Kansas Court of Appeals, 2011, http://www.kscourts.org/cases-and-opinions/opinions/CtApp/2011/20110610/105017.pdf
- Reversal of Conviction and remand for new trial based on violation of jury trial rights. State v Duncan, Kansas Court of Appeals, 2010, http://www.kscourts.org/Cases-and-Opinions/opinions/CtApp/2010/20101119/102356.pdf ; State v. Bell, unpublished Kansas Court of Appeals, 2013, Website; State v. Marshall, unpublished, Court of Appeals, 2014.
- Relief of judgment of court costs, State v. Douglas, Kansas Court of Appeals, 2012
- Remand for further proceedings to determine if defendant should be granted post conviction relief, Francis v. State, unpublished, Kansas Court of Appeals, 2014
Contact the Zigtema Law Office as soon as possible to discuss your appellate options.